Friday, February 24, 2012

Wool red cabbage dyeing & landscape dyes


These 'softy softy' colours are the results of a natural red cabbage dye...they were modified with lemon juice to give the pink and salt to give the grey-blue shades (with no mordants.) 
I wouldn't expect these colours to be very light fast but red cabbage dyes are nice gentle dyes suitable for children or folk with chemical sensitivity to play with. 

The red on the right in the image up above is a commercial product, a landscape wool dye, I have just started using some of their products to broaden my colour range and really am having fun getting into colour mixing, reminds me of my uni days of mixing up paints!
I'll be back at Northey street this Sunday with yarns, some small crochet items, etc, I'll be sharing a stall with lovely Michaela who sells Steiner toys and art supplies, we'd love to see  you there :o)

No comments: