Thursday, April 29, 2010

my creative space

My wool stash is getting out of hand...

Pictured here-Gladstone bag full, cupboard with 2 big bags of organic wool(10 balls of pale lemon wool...what was I thinking!!??)...also a couple of the many random bags which are distributed around the lounge room, my bed, my office, etc....plus not pictured is another huge cardboard tub full...

Fortunately there are scarves being made and sold, so the 'Imelda Marcus of wools'(me) can sleep easier knowing they are being used...
xkate
for more creative goings on go on to here
http://www.kootoyoo.com/

p.s-tomorrow is Autism awareness day...
please if you know any parents of children with Aspergers or Autism I urge you to let them know they are great parents. And if you know anyone with Autism or Aspergers let them know you love them. Simple stuff but so important.
I have one son diagnosed with Aspergers who is adored and doing great but there have been times I have been a broken soul.
Struggling and feeling judged by other parents, in-laws(now outlaws) or the community while both my child and I did our utmost best to cope while out and about...the upside is my beautiful son who has many, many more strengths than weaknesses and a sense of strengthened empathy for others who for whatever reasons or disabilities are struggling.

http://www.autismspectrum.org.au/a2i1i1l445l487/welcome.htm
A very positive site!

And to help improve the situation for people with disabilities in very poor communities...

http://www.cbmi.org.au/

16 comments:

Cotton Kiwi said...

Wow what a wonderful wool stash! I have the same problem with fabric at the moment. Could you dye the lemon wool? Love those scarves.
Thanks for posting about Autism/Aspergers awareness. I don't have anyone close to me with it but have huge respect for parents of children with it.

Tracey@bountifully said...

I love your gladstone bag. I have a work colleague who has a son with Aspergers. Thank you for the reminder to encourage her xx

michelle said...

lovely stash. good to see it becoming things of beaut. great post and well done you for speaking so openly and with such great affection about your son. i have a friend who has a son very severely disabled by autisma nd she is undoubtedly one of the most honest and brave people i have met

Sally said...

Your wool stash is out of control... I am SO ENVIOUS!!!
Thanks for posting about Autism/Aspergers day tomorrow - hope you enjoy a great day with your son reflecting on the magnificence of both your achievements. Bravo.

Christina Lowry said...

Goodness! I would love to have a wool stash like that! Maybe a baby blanket from the lemon wool?

Thanks for the reminder too. Will pass it on. :)

B @ Sweet Limes said...

Funny that you should post about your yarn getting out of hand because just the other day I told myself the exact same thing with my fabric stash. I promised myself there would be no more fabric purchases until I rid myself of some of the stash. There really is nowhere else to put anything in the closest of my sewing room.

Sam said...

We love you and think you are a wonderful parent. Both boys are a credit to you! pfft to that measly wool stash! When you need a shed to start storing it, then you can claim the title of Queen Wool Stasher!

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

I know all about stashes getting out of control! You should see my vintage button stash. There is hope for that lemon wool – dye it. I’m sure Kate from Foxs Lane dyed some really successfully, fairly recently.

Wendy said...

Lovely stash! My fabric seems to be multiplying at breakneck speed...something in the blogosphere?

Liesl said...

Wow, look at that stash (but who am I to judge? I can barely close the cupboard doors!!) I love the scarves you are making - they look lovely and toasty.

Thanks for the information about Autism/Aspergers Awareness Day. Wouldn't it be wonderful if more people had an understanding of autism & aspergers? It would certainly make families' lives just that little bit easier.

Unknown said...

The stash is awesome. I have a stash and i can barely even knit- so imagine my husband's horror. Thanks for letting us know about Autism/Aspergers awareness day. No one I am close to has been diagnosed, but I really admire those who live every day effected. xo m.

Renee said...

Great stash! I understand the out of control bit too - but my out of control stash is fabric. I'm constantly reorganising cupboards to fit it all in.

yardage girl said...

Some lovely wool there - lots of options for lovely projects. Great reminder about people dealing with Autism/Aspergers - my heart goes out to you and many others.

Kellie Christie said...

I would like to be able to knit and crochet, maybe one day I will learn. Good luck using up all of the wool stash.

Bec said...

Thanks for the reminder. I've never seen you in mumma mode so I hope I'll get to meet your kiddlings soon :)

Rowena @ Rekindled said...

lovely! you can readily turn that lemon yellow organic wool into something infinitely more appealing by dyeing it with food colouring - it's a fabulous and super easy process... x r