Wednesday, January 28, 2009

farewell

My great aunt Barbara has passed away. She was over 100 years old and had a gentle decline in the last few months. Previous to those quiet moments she lived a long, love-filled active life.
Her funeral is today, I couldn't make it there, so I wanted to post up something for her.
She was always kind, graciously and enthusiastically hospitable whenever I visited her in her beautiful grand home in Ivanhoe.
Once I turned up at her house with my dad. I was wearing my first year art student 'uniform' big clunky black boots, short- short velvet mini-skirt from the camperwell flea markets, a bonds singlet and home cut short-short magenta pink hair...after serving us tea and cakes she rummaged through her things 'til she found an old full length gymnastics outfit which had belonged to my grandmother. She gave it to me with little fuss and lots of good humour. It was pale blue and came with a full length flared fine silk skirt and a satin one piece suit...she somehow saw through my punkish appearance and knew I would love it.
She was a star, her immediate family wrote in her funeral notice and indeed she was,
farewell, love.
xKate

No comments: