Tuesday, May 3, 2011

permaculture day



The weather was glorious for permaculture day on Sunday, just beautiful. I love being in Brisbane this time of year. The above shot taken during lovely Wendys' visitors tour of Northey Street.
She's the education co-ordinator of the community farm and is knowledgeable, personable and warm-a great teacher.


The sun was shining on the Village life market at Northey Street too- how pretty does this
'little original' dress made by Vanessa look? Aww.



Bunyas' Shiatsu tent was perfectly sited to catch some warm rays, I can actually feel some calm radiating through this image to me...



On the home permaculture garden I am thrilled and super excited to update about my rosellas - they have been producing fruit! I found this little guy and several more! And there are still many flowers opening so YAY! I'm going to be making rosella jam and syrup!


The red thick fleshy petal part in the top piccy is the main component of the jam and inside is a green seed pod. To save the seeds firstly choose the best plant of your crop. If you want to make jam you can pull the red leaves off for your jam, just leave the green pod there to fully reach maturity and then die off.
Once the seed pod is brown and dry you can pop them open and put the round dry seeds into a envelope, labelled, of course, and you'll be all ready for next year! If anyone wants some seeds especially suited for growing in Brisbane and surrounding areas leave a comment below with a link or contact and I will be happy to send you some once mine are ready.
This is a good link for all things Rosella, including recipes, growing, etc.



I love my pigeon peas too. They are excellent to use as a green mulch, provide shelter and also have nitrogen fixing roots. By keeping an eye on them and pruning them before they flower you can continually keep yourself supplied with mulch. Simply chop and drop them to the ground or rake them in a little.
But they are also a staple food of India, and this one will be supplying me with some peas as it's job to nourish the rosellas is near its end. And those yellow flowers are cheerful and pretty on a grey old day like today.


Lastly here is a progress shot on a pair of coffee coloured eco yarn fingerless gloves, custom ordered and now finished! I am happy they are all ready to be delivered next weekend to a returning visitor to Village life market...I love custom colour requests, the support we are getting this year and especially being part of such a beautiful permaculture lovin' community.
Thanks! And of course big thanks to you lovely blog readers, so tell me what's happening in your gardens??
xKate

1 comment:

Crochet with Raymond said...

Hellooooo Kate!!!!!
I want that gorgeous yellow dress... god I wish I could sew!
Love seeing your garden and permaculture goodness, how great is your rosella plant!
If I remember correctly, we have bright coloured parrots in the Far North called rosellas that are so bright and beautiful like your flowers.
Your e-mail is not languishing at the bottom of my inbox I promise! I'll write soon with a catch up of many fun times here in wellington!
Meanwhile, back to my fairy socks
XXXXX